Sunday, September 14, 2008

Death Wish

Contrary to what I have previously asserted, I do, apparently, have a death wish.

Thursday morning I got out of bed and headed to the washroom to get ready for my day. I passed my bike, as I do every time I walk into my apartment, or to the washroom, as it holds a special place right in the entrance (ok, ok, it's the easiest place to store it). But, this morning, something was different. Perhaps it was the taste of victory from having conquered The Hill. Perhaps it was the genuine desire to skip the gym this morning. Whatever it was, I heard the bike whisper to me, nay, demand that I should ride it to the office that morning.

Like most people I listen to the voices in my head.

So, I packed the day's clothes in a small shoulder bag I have, put on my gym clothes, and set out. I gave myself 1 1/2 hours. It took me 45 minutes. In total the distance traveled was just under 7 miles. I did have to walk the bike in two places. One was up a hill I knew I would never make my first trip. The second was up a hill I have traveled before, but didn't want to brave in rush hour traffic. I was exhausted. I ended up going to the gym, but just to shower. Then headed to work.

I had no clue where to put the bike during the day, so it got a nice spot outside my cube. Which proved to be entertaining for me. Cyclist was walking by my cube and happened to glance over and see the bike. He thought to himself, "Hey, I know that bike!" And, since I wasn't at my desk, immediately sent me an instant message inquiring if I had, in deed, ridden to work that morning. Yes, yes I did!

I did, however, fail to plan on one thing—getting home.

The ride home was more grueling than the ride in. And, I didn't make it up The Hill. Actually, by the time I hit the island I wimped out and rode the bus from the park and ride to my place. I couldn't have made it.

When I got on the bus, after securing my bike on the rack, I took a seat near a middle aged woman. After a minute or two she scooted down on her bench—away from me. At precisely that moment I was suddenly able to smell myself. Yeah, I don't blame her for moving. Sorry love, nothing I could do at that point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home