Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Celebrations

My boss had us all over for a holiday party last week, which was quite fun. We ate dinner, chatted, played a game and called it a night.

Teach's party was on Sunday, and that was quite a success. Bill's presence didn't cause any problems (I wasn't particularly worried it would), and, interestingly, Teach had invited a couple who didn't even know anyone else. Honestly, I found it a bit curious that their invite sparked no uprising. The couple brought their baby, and it was so adorable to watch Bill playing with him—the boy is so baby hungry. I wonder how long he'll want to wait after getting married before having their first kid.

Lastly, Bill and I had our own mini-Christmas celebration last night (he left for home today). Earlier in the week I suggested that we cook dinner, open presents, and maybe get me a tree Friday night. He agreed.

So, after work we ran a couple of errands, stopped by the grocery store to pick up some sausage (vegan for her, super spicy for him), some spritzer (hey, it's the holidays), and some pasta sauce (for the spaghetti we were about to make). At his place I got to cook everything while he wrapped my present. Then, we served dinner and opened presents.

I got him a pedicure (sea weed wrap) and a deep tissue massage. He's been wanting to try both, but hasn't booked it—so I booked it for him. He looked pleased to get that and said, "Thanks! You knew I'd never do that for myself." I think he was a little disappointed that I got him a service, rather than an actual physical gift, but, I'm sorry, what do you get for the guy who buys himself whatever he wants?

He got me three beautiful Chinese calligraphy brushes and a nice wooden vase in which to store them. He told me they were for decoration or use. They're too pretty to use. And I don't know how to do Chinese calligraphy, so they shall be just for decoration. I think he did a wonderful job picking my present. It was thoughtful, very much appealed to me and my hobbies and tastes, and something totally unexpected and unique. Honestly, though, I'm a little mortified at how much we spent on each other for Christmas. I've never spent as much on someone for a present (unless you count flying to their country of residence a present), and I can guess as to how much he spent on mine. I know he doesn't have a problem spending money, but, still. Wow. That's a lot for a friend.

After gifts (and hugs) were exchanged, we ate dinner, drank our delicious spritzer, and put in a movie. When the movie ended he packed while I passed out on his couch. Then he braved the ice to bring me home.

I'd say that my favorite Christmas celebration so far this year has been Bill's and mine. It was sweet, tender, and very "us."

1 Comments:

Blogger JLS said...

Enjoy this christmas with more delicious food.

December 21, 2008 8:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home