Sunday, February 15, 2009

No, He Really Isn't

It seems that every group of women I hang out with wants to see He's Just Not That Into You. I've seen it twice now. It was ok the first time, and worse the second. I have to see it a third because I promised my co-workers I'd go with her.

Just to get this out of the way: Major SPOILER ALERT follows.

Why didn't I like it? The movie started out strong, and presented an interesting premise: every woman wants to believe she's the exception to the rule; that if she does just the right things the man she is dating (or hopes to date) will suddenly change and things will all work out. The girl who is dating the guy for 7 years and won't marry her? Yeah, he's not going to. This is a theme I could get behind. Yes! Let's finally sell women the truth. And, then, in the end, they totally flipped it around, and everyone woman became the exception. The guy who had been living with the girl for 7 years finally proposed, etc, etc, etc. What a load of crap.

The fact of the matter is: we're all the rule. Exceptions are rare, and, statistically, you're not it. Suck it up, get over it, accept it, embrace it, learn from it, and move on. Tragically, Hollywood continues to lie to women and tell them just what they want to hear—you are the exception.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home