Thursday, February 12, 2009

Yoga

A girl I know was described recently as 'practicing yoga'. She hastily corrected the speaker, "I wouldn't say I 'practice' yoga. I do it occasionally, but not enough to say I practice it." When she was asked why she made such a distinction she explained that she has this paranoia which prevents her from doing it too much. When asked to explain that phobia she told us the following: "Everyone I know who has quit yoga has done so for the same reason. Farting. Or fear of farting."

This seemed like an interesting reason. Upon further reflection I thought about the quiet room and letting one rip, but, I mentally reasoned, it's not that hard to not pass gas.

Then, I took a yoga class. Yeah, totally valid fear. The room is all quiet, everyone is focusing on their own breathing, and you're twisted up like a pretzel, frequently with your butt in the air.

My first class was nearly my disastrously last. I made it through with a new perspective, and an increased respect for yoga practitioners.

I still go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home