Friday, April 30, 2010

Revelations

An evening with Bill and Chick this week included him using the "L-word" in her direction. When she left the room I commented on it. "Yeah, that happened a while ago. Sorry I didn't tell you."

"I'm not surprised," I simply replied.

"Oh, why not? Because we're so close?"

"I wouldn't call it 'close'. You're just schmoopy and all over each other." While those are true statements, that's not how I knew.

The next night Bill and I were at my new house putting up tape in preparation of painting. "You know how you asked last night why I wasn't surprised you tell Chick you love her? I knew when you dropped your bike. You called her, and I found out when I got home."

"Really?"

"Yup, I knew then."

"I called her first? Did that bother you?"

"You didn't even call me," I said with a sad smile. "And, yes, it bothered me a bit. But I didn't bring it up to make you feel bad and apologize. I just thought you should know when I knew."

Much later, back at home, we were headed to bed when he stopped me, said "Come here, I want to give you a hug." I turned (we hug good night nearly every night, but it was interesting that he insisted). As we embraced he said, "You're still my best friend in the world. You know that, right?" Then he pulled back a little, looked down at me, "I mean it. That hasn't changed." Then pulled me back in for a longer hug.

I know that hasn't changed, but our relationship has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home