Monday, June 28, 2010

Stupid Freaking Knee

With less than three weeks between now and the STP (Seattle to Portland bike ride) I've been side-lined. I've had bad knees since I was a teenager, and when I was at University I finally learned how to deal with them. As I've gotten older I've learned to pay attention to the warning signs and slow down when I think I'm going to have a problem.

Until last week.

I woke up Wednesday morning and my knees were feeling a little off. As I laid in bed I thought, "Oh no, this could be bad. I'll ride in anyway and see." And hopped on my bike and off I went. By the time I got to work I could hardly walk. Honestly, I don't know why I question myself.

Fast forward a week. I haven't been on the bike since Wednesday evening and if I don't do 50 miles this weekend, I'm sitting it out. I don't trust myself enough to listen to my body when I'm on that ride. I'll need to finish, even at the risk of long-lasting damage. I'm disappointed, but I'm afraid I'll do something dumb. Better, as they say, to build a fence around temptation to keep it out than to see how close you can get.

1 Comments:

Blogger Memory Keeper said...

I'm sorry, Granola! I know how much you have looked forward to this ride again this year. However, I am proud of you to look forward down the years. After all, how can you do that Marathon on the Great Wall next year if you mess up your leg?

July 03, 2010 12:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home