Thursday, August 19, 2010

Open

"I dated a gay guy in college..." usually a guaranteed conversation pauser. In this case, these words were uttered to my gay neighbor—who just about chocked on his coffee. "Wow! You're really open!"

"Well," I said (and, it was about time I uttered these words, "I went to BYU, so I was more his beard and less his girlfriend. But, yeah, I'm generally really open."

It's funny, sometimes I feel like I have to 'come out' about being Mormon. He's seen me dressed up in dresses post-church on Sundays (and even commented a time or two about how nice I look), and he knows I don't drink, and, when I moved in the missionaries were helping me; so there have been all sorts of little indications that I may be religious, and possibly even LDS, but the trepidation of how people receive that news is occasionally greater than I'd like.

I'm sure it doesn't change anything in our relationship, except now I don't feel that I have to dance around that subject as delicately as I have in the past.

"Yeah, I kind of got that about you, otherwise I wouldn't have been as open as I have been with you." he replied.

We laughed and I carried on with the story which lead to the big reveal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home