Sunday, March 06, 2011

Racer!

Last year during the STP I flew past some people at roughly 33 mph. It was awesome! The speed felt great! What a rush! And, as I flew past some lady shouted supportively after me, "You go girl!" And, then, later, I was talking to some guys who used to race (and, whom I had also flown past). All of that got me thinking that maybe, just maybe, I could be a bike racer.

This is a thought I have been entertaining to myself—too chicken to share it with anyone else.

When the guys all got bike racing licenses I decided I'd probably have to wait a bit before I could get my own, maybe learn from their efforts.

Today I learned the only lesson I needed to learn.

It was Brisk's first race, and 10 miles into an 36 mile race he was dropped by the pack after maintaining speeds in the high 20s. Unless I truly get in the kind of shape I can't imagine ever being in, there is no way I'm ever going to be a bike racer.

I do have to say, I was worried about him being depressed about his performance, but he wasn't. And, for that, I'm so glad. He's going to get back on the bike and do it again, and I don't have to be a shoulder for him to cry on, yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home