Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mice and Men

Happy Birthday to me.

Today I turn 31.

Isn't that something? Nah, not really. Everyone ages. It's a simple fact.

I like to take these opportunities to look back at my life and see how where I am lines up with where I thought I'd be. I guess the thing that's on my mind the most lately is that I made it this far unmarried. I certainly didn't plan to. In my mind 28 seemed like the ideal age, heavily influenced by the fact that that's how old my parents were when they tied the knot. When ExOfNote and I didn't end up together I wasn't worried—I still had a good 3 years to work all that out. Now, I'm three years past the imaginary 'ideal' time. And, you know what? I'm ok with that.

I've found that outside the Mormon community people often don't get married before they're 30. But, more importantly, I feel that as time passes I become a better potential partner.

What else did I not anticipate? I didn't anticipate that at 31 I'd be training for my first marathon. I didn't anticipate that I'd be in (literally) the best physical shape of my life. I didn't anticipate that I'd be contemplating major life changes. And, I certainly didn't anticipate being as satisfied as I am with my life not turning out as I planed.

All in all, no, life didn't turn out as I thought it would. It's turning out better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home