Monday, January 10, 2011

Walking Out

Saturday night we went out to celebrate a friend's birthday. She wanted to go to a piano bar which happens to be right near the football stadium. It was game night, but since the Seahawks suck no one was really too worried about the crowd. Reservations were made for hours after the game was scheduled to end.

Except they won.

And the victory party lasted very very very long. So long, in fact, that it was still raging when we got there. The whole thing wasn't really my scene, nor was it Brisk's. Who, according to his claims, I guilted into showing up. As he and I sat there trying to have fun, but not really enjoying ourselves too much one of the pianists called up a woman who was celebrating her birthday. As a 'treat' for her he started in on some limericks. Some excruciatingly crass limericks. I was quite uncomfortable, as was Brisk. I have to pause here and admit that I was surprised at how much he wasn't enjoying the humor. Finally, after 4 or 6 verses the 'song' ended and the pianist wished the birthday girl a pleasant evening.

Brisk and I chatted about how that was terribly not awesome, and he confessed that he was trying to think of some place nearby to go while we waited for our buses (to avoid game traffic and downtown parking we had both caught buses in, and we had another 45 minutes before they would be making the rounds). As another birthday girl was cheered up on stage and more crass jokes were being made at her expense Brisk finally came up with some place. "Done!" I said hopping off my bar stool. We made quick rounds saying our goodbyes and headed out.

I felt a little weird leaving a party so early, but more than that I felt relieved to be walking out of a situation which made me uncomfortable. And, I was really glad to have a friend to walk out with me.

Sunday I learned that our early departure had prompted a "medium amount" of gossip and knowing (and, apparently, approving) assertions that we could "entertain [our]selves."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home