Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Silver Bells

The long anticipated Christmas Season has arrived, midst the flurry of marketing and the hustle and bustle of shopping.

I made the long and arduous trip to my parent's home, anticipating two weeks worth of Honey-do lists and chauffeuring everyone everywhere. I also anticipated my little brother getting engaged. We're all so excited for him, and everyone in the family who knows his intended, absolutely loves her. Thus, I was eagerly anticipating her arrival (with him in tow) here on the 31st.

Ahh, and as you know, all good stories need a 'but.' What is the 'but' of this story? Simple: they are not only getting engaged, but most likely married! Don't get me wrong -- I'm more than thrilled, I'm exuberant! I am just sad that they'll be getting married on the 4th of January -- which means, I will either be late getting back to school, or miss his wedding. Sadly, two of our siblings will miss seeing him entirely. I feel bad for them, but that's kind of the way life goes sometimes.

All of this comes with a touch of bitter-sweetness: the rush to get married is really fueled by the knowledge that he will, once again, be shipping out to an undisclosed location in early February. Of course, each time he goes we all wonder if he’ll be coming back. And, this way, if he doesn’t, she will be taken care of. Something no one really wants to say, but a genuine concern. Well, that’s about it for me tonight. Marry Christmas! Here’s wishing you a wonderful ringing of bells, be they New Years, Silver, or Wedding this up coming year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home