Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Funeral Expenses

On Saturday my roommate and I were driving home from her work when we saw Korea walking down the street. I immediately pulled over and asked her how things were going, and if she was doing ok. She said she was pretty much still in shock, but considering that things were going ok. Not wonderful, but ok. I asked her what her plans were for the funeral, etc. She told me that she had decided to have him cremated (thankfully!) because of the cost of not doing so. Also, since she's the one making all the decisions, and since he's being cremated, she is going to put off the memorial service until she can afford to fly home and take care of it. I asked how the money situation was, and what I could do to help. She told me that she had managed to raise all but $500 for it, and that last bit seems to be a whole lot hard to get her hands on. She has been calling aunts and uncles who never knew him to ask for money, but they seem to be having a hard time being willing to contribute, as you can well imagine. Thankfully, however, the mortician was able to give her a little-known discount apparently entitled "I'm a poor university student whose father has just passed away, and as the only living relative I have to cover all the expenses." We kind of laughed about that, but it was a laugh of thankfulness and relief more than mirth.

After we left her my roommate and I started to ponder how we can help Korea. My roommate suggested we have a benefit concert for her. (You may recall that she's really into the indi-rock scene, so she has some connections.) She was going to look into that, but I don't think she has. I wish there were something more I could do. When we asked what that might be, Korea replied as I would expect, "Prayers are good. Just pray for me."

I am, but is it enough?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home