Friday, July 08, 2005

Why You Should Make Your Own Funeral Arrangements

I was talking with a friend from church this week when she mentioned a mutual friend of ours, Korea. Korea and the girl with whom I was speaking happen to be roommates, so I asked "Oh, how's she doing?"

Not good, apparently. Her father died this week, and it's been really hard on her. Worse than that, however is the ramifications of it. She is his only living relative that claims him (and, she's not even sure if he's her father — she has to have some blood work done to determine if that's the case or not), so she has to cover all the funeral expenses. He had a cemetery plot, which helps a bit, but she has to pay for the casket, the tombstone and engraving, and transporting his body. Not an easy feat considering that she's a paycheck-to-paycheck barely making it college student.

My roommate happens to be in the Relief Society presidency, so I told her when I found out, hoping that she will be able to do something. I really don't know what we can do, but I hope the ward can pull together and help her out.

I think I'm going to call her tonight and see what little help I can be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home