Tuesday, March 28, 2006

No, Sorry, I Don't Work Here

I have this amazing idea for a wall hanging in my apartment: I want to gather various sizes of canvas and paint them all in a variety of colors and shades. I don't want them to necessarily "go" together, or match. Then, I shall hang them all very snuggly together to form one unit. I wish I could describe it better, but I guess you'll just have to wait for the finished product.

With this goal in mind, I headed to the local craft store to buy a few canvases. I had been painting before I left, so I cleaned my brushes, and headed out, with out bothering to remove my apron. When I got to the craft store a father and son were looking at presentation boards which are kept near the canvases. I was looking for the right size when I overheard the father tell his son to ask one of the employees if they had more of what they were looking for in the back. The son rounded the corner from his aisle, glanced me up and down, and taking stock of what I was wearing determined that the craft store really lets their employees dress a bit too casually. Then, he asked me (rather politely, his father should be proud) if we happened to have more in back. I smiled and said, "Actually, I don't worry here. Sorry."

"Oh, you don't?" He asked, the obvious question being: Then why are you wearing a paint stained black apron?

"No, sorry. I was working in my studio (well, technically, my apartment is my studio) and didn't bother to change before heading over here."

"Oh." Ironically, the ring of disapproval in his voice was barely hidden under the surface.

I smiled and he went to find someone who could really help him. I don't know what was more entertaining: Being mistaken for working at a craft store, or the disapproval from a high-school-er for being an artist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home