Friday, May 26, 2006

Migraines

I hate migraines. For many reasons, most of them painfully obvious. The one thing that I really, really, really hate about migraines, though, is how they effect me. You see, some people are immobilized, some people get light sensitive, most people get the general symptoms. I, however, get stupid. Migraines effect my cognitive abilities. There's no other way to put it: they make me stupid and disoriented. For that reason they are more than just painful and immobilizing, they are potentially dangerous. If I'm somewhere and forget how I got there or what I was doing it may take me a good while before I can remember it.

The first time I noticed this I had been suffering from the standard symptoms, but they had finally abated, so I walked the mile to the grocery store. While in the middle of the store I suddenly could not remember how I got there, what I was doing, and (scariest of all) where I was. It was in that moment of panic when I realized what was going on. Since then, when ever possible I don't go anywhere when I have a migraine. I like to pull up a spot of floor and do nothing.

However, my migraines come in waves. So, I'll be suffering for a while, then it will seemingly go away, tricking me into trying to go somewhere or do something before coming back even stronger. Not to be fooled this time, I decided that I would work from home today. I got up at 10, feeling much better than when I went to bed at 8 the night before, and logged on to my work computer. I was very productive today, putting in a full 8 hours. Ok, a full 7 1/2 hours, but basically!

Now, the stupid thing is back, and I'm only moderately tired, and completely out of medication, and I have no doctor to call for a prescription.

Hey, I wonder if Rite-Aid has my prescription. Maybe I'll give them a call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home