Monday, May 22, 2006

Humanitarian Kits

Since my new calling (job at church) is Family Home Evening Co-chair, I'm responsible for coming up with fun and exciting activities for a group of about 20 people to do on a Monday night. This week we decided to do a service project, but we couldn't come up with anything. At the last minute I decided that we should make hygiene kits (directions can be found at http://providentliving.org). I needed to get the supplies, and didn't have a lot of time (since I decided Saturday night at 11). So, when I got home from work I rushed to the local drug store. I decided that we were going to make 40 kits. Here are the contents of one kit:
HYGIENE KIT
2 unbreakable combs (no sharp handles)
4 toothbrushes (packaged)
1 tube of toothpaste (6 to 8 ounces, no pumps)
2 bars of soap (approximately 3.5-5 ounces each)
2 hand towels (Use new 15-inch by 25-inch hand towels. Please do not use dish towels
or washcloths.)
Place items in a heavy-duty, one gallon sealable bag. Remove the air
before sealing.

So, I bought what I could, and ended up wiping the store out of toothbrushes and some brands of soap. I couldn't find any hand towels though, so I still have to buy those.

I went up to the cash register, in a hurry, but still understanding that there may be other people who also wanted to check out sometime this decade. As I took the items out of my cart I grouped them as best as I could. Midway through this process a young girl and her mother joined me in line (The cashier quickly called for someone else to come to the front to ring them up), followed by some guy. The little girl whispered to her mom, "Why does she have so many toothbrushes?" (I happened to have only 40 in the cart!) "I don't know," her mom whispered back. The guy behind them jokingly commented, "Somebody sure has a lot of teeth!"

I took this as the perfect opportunity to answer the girl's question with out making her mom uncomfortable. I smiled and said, "Yes. Actually, my church makes humanitarian kits, and this is for that."

"Oh. Are they going to shampoo their hair next?"

"Well, maybe. There are kits for that, too."

At this point the other cashier arrived, and the mother and daughter left. The guy, who I had assumed was with them, stayed in line behind me, as I was almost finished by this point anyway. We chatted a bit before I paid, gathered my new purchases, and ran out to my car, hoping I could make it to church on time. I threw my bags in the trunk, hopped in, buckled up, and started the engine when I heard someone knocking on my window. I glanced up, and it was the guy from the line! I was afraid I had left something in my rush. I rolled down the window and he asked: "Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Uh, no, I don't."

"Would you mind if I asked you out sometime?"

"Uh, sure."

It went on from there, he got my number, asked if I lived on the island, paid me a couple of complements, and then was on his way, as I tore out of the parking lot headed to church.

I have to give him mad props! How nerve wracking that must be to ask out this total stranger at the drugstore. We'll see if he calls. Even if he doesn't, it's cute that he asked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home