Sunday, May 14, 2006

Book

As mentioned before I view gift-giving as an art form (one where I happen to excel). The most important part of a gift is the thought that goes into it. Why do I bring this up, again? Simply put: the following two experiences.

OfficeCrush
I was sitting at my desk Thursday, madly trying to get some work done when my office crush (BookGuy) came over and offered me a welcome interruption.

He greeted me: "I come bearing gifts. Well, gift."

"Huh?"

"You know that room where all left over items end up for anyone to take?"

"Yeah?"

"Well," he informed me, "I was just up there, and saw this and thought you might like it." With that, he handed me a book on cd. What book? you ask. The Secrets of Judas. Now, I don't know anything about this book, and he certainly doesn't either, but he does know that I'm super religious (this is the guy about whom this post was written, incidentally, I really need to write up the story I neglected to mention, since it plays a vital role in this story...), and he happened to see it, and picked it up for me. Totally sweet. This only adds to the reasons I think he's cute.

Ironically enough, as he stood there he noticed my sign and started to ask.

"Don't ask. Trust me. Just don't ask."

"Ok, then... I won't."

He didn't. Thank goodness!

Roommate
Remember that one time when I had the best roommates in the world? We lived in Zion and everything was perfect, until one of them had to run off and get married? Well, the other one just got married(!). I'm super excited for her. She's living out this way which gives me an opportunity to give her a wedding present. The only problem with that is, I hadn't bought it, yet. So, today I went to her favorite store to pick up a few things.

I wandered into The Body Shop to pick up a few items that I know she loves. As I was smelling the home fragrances employee A came over to ask me how things were going, and try to sell me more crap. She asked what my favorite scent is, and I told her, "Actually, they give me migraines, so they're not for me. My old roommate just got married, and so I thought I'd get her a wedding present." "Oh, how sweet! They give you migraines? That's not good!" Exit A, stage left. 30 seconds later, enter employee B, stage right. "So, what's your favorite scent?" "None of them." I really just wanted to be left alone so I could shop in peace. It worked. Exit B, stage right.

I kept shopping, looking for things I know she likes, and thinks she might be willing to give a try. I picked up quite a bit of stuff, despite A and B's constant attempts to distract me.

As I was checking out B asked me if I have one of their frequent shopper cards. I said no. She was really surprised, since "You seem to know your way around the store pretty well."

"Well, I've been in here a few times."

"What's your favorite thing?"

I smiled. I wasn't going to tell her that generally, their products are ok, but not my favorite. "Oh, I don't know."

"Yeah, it's all good. And since you don't seem to have favorites..."

I wasn't going to let some complete stranger tell me I'm not opinionated! "Actually, I'm allergic to the room oils, they're for my old roommate. She just got married, and it was a sacrifice she made while we lived together..."

"Oh!" We wrapped up the conversation while she finished ringing me up.

As I left I heard B say to A, "That's so sweet! She, "

"Yeah, it totally is!"

You know that warm-fuzzy feeling you get when someone else realizes that you're amazing? Yeah, I got that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home