Sunday, June 11, 2006

Back to the Basics

Sometimes what you need to hear most are the basics.

Lately I've been contemplating life, and the meaning thereof. Is there really something more out there? What if this life is it? What if I gave up the love of my life, thinking there is something more, and at the end, just when I think I'm going to be standing at those Pearly Gates, it all turns out to be a horrible hoax, and I spend the rest of forever a rotting corpse pushing up daisies? What a gyp that would be!

Today in Sunday School we were discussing prayer and answers to prayer (ironic, if you consider that I had prayed this morning for a much-needed spiritual boost). As I sat there thinking about the last truly meaningful prayer I had uttered (this morning's aside) I reflected on the night ExOfNote decided to try to end his life. Oh, how I had prayed then. I had prayed that someone would be able to intervene. I had prayed that he would pass out from the alcohol before he could stumble over the balcony. I had pleaded with the Lord to let me be calm enough to give the police accurate information. I had begged Him to keep him safe.

Then, I thought of the last conversation ExOfNote's mother and I had. She called me to let me know he was going to be ok. She thanked me, from a place I hope to never visit, for those life-saving phone calls. Then, she told me how fervently she had prayed. I told her of my prayers. Together, we expressed gratitude for a God who answers prayers.

God does answer our prayers. Sometimes His answers seem to take forever, and sometimes His answers are instantaneous; but, he always answers. How could I question the existence of a God who so lovingly helped me in my most desperate time of need?

Esoteric doctrine is great, the deep theology is wonderful, but in the end, it's the basics that remind us of God's greatness, mercy, and love. I'm just so thankful that I was attentive to that Spirit and lesson today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home