Sunday, October 08, 2006

Problematic

Friday night I went to a stake talent show. Why? Because, while not exactly my scene, I thought my friends were going. They didn't show. After two acts I decided to bail. As I was leaving I saw a guy from my ward who doesn't really go to church, but he does go to Family Home Evening. I paused on my way out and asked if he wanted to bail. He was all up for it. Since MapGuy wanted to go to dinner (we had talked about it before I headed over to the talent show) I set those plans in motion.

I asked if he wanted to carpool over and he said, "Sure, I can drive." Not that it was very far, but no use everyone driving.

We got to the restaurant and chatted while waiting for everyone else. We didn't really know each other all that well, so this was a good chance to learn more. He seems like a nice enough guy. After dinner we all decided to go to a movie. He ended up sitting next to me. Following the movie he drove me back to the stake center to get my car. On the way over he was driving a little erratically. I made some non-verbal reaction to his driving and he said, "I'm a good driver!"

"It's not that," I replied, "it's just the first time driving with someone, you never know how they're going to react."

"Yeah," he said reassuringly, "you get all freaked out and then you realize, 'hey! He's just trying to impress me!'"

heh... heh... heh...... CRAP!

I laughed, what else could I do? Anyway, so he dropped me off, and asked me to call him if we made any other plans sometime so we could all hang out and stuff. Now, while I'm ok with people trying to be social, and, I'm ok with adding people to the group with whom I hang out, if they're not a perfect fit I'm not going to be calling them up all the time. Occasionally, sure. All the time, not so much.

Fast forward...

Sweetheart, Nanny, and I went to Ikea yesterday afternoon (I hate Ikea, for the record). On the way home we stopped by Denny's. While there I started to get a bit of a stomach ache. Then, a bad stomach ache. Eventually, I decided to just go home and try to take care of my tummy, and they decided to go do whatever.

At 9:30 my phone rang — it was the guy from last night. He was calling to find out if we were doing anything last night. Before that, however, he instantly noticed that I didn't sound well. I told him that I had a bit of a stomach flu, and he went into 'helpful-worried-guy mode'. It would have been totally flattering had I had even the slightest interest in him. I don't. He offered about five times to bring me some chicken noodle soup. I told him that was very sweet, but no thank you, I would be fine, but thanks for the offer.

So, the problem? Well, clearly, the boy is interested in getting to know me better, whereas I, on the other hand, am not. Joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home