Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Greetings from UK

I bring you greetings from the UK. Things here have been great.

The flight was relatively uneventful. Out of Chicago I had an hour to change flights, which really means 30 minutes. Since there wasn't anything to eat on the flight from Seattle to Chicago I had to grab a quick salad while dashing to my flight. It worked out, however, that my connecting gate was literally right across the hallway, which was most pleasant.

As I was boarding the plane to London the flight attendant took my ticket, and started to rip it, then announced, "Oh, this is Seattle to Chicago. I need your other one." Whoops. I got out of line and hunted down the correct ticket. This time, as I was boarding I was pulled aside to have my bag searched. Predictably, they found nothing.

After we boarded we got to sit there for an hour while maintenance fixed the
broken black box. Yeah, that sucked.

Customs was relatively painless. Actually, I didn't know BritishGirl's address, so I didn't write it down on the entry form you have to fill out. The agent asked me where I was staying in the UK and I told him "at my friend's place". He asked "Do you know his address?" "No, I don't" I replied. He said, "Ok." Then stamped my passport. Weirdness, eh? Why wasn't it a problem? I'm not sure. Am I glad it wasn't? You betcha. I probably would have just put down a hotel if they pressed the issue. One thing that I didn't do, however, was correct the gender assumption. BritishGirl laughed at that.

After all of that we went to BritishGirl's place where I got some breakfast and showered and changed, then we headed into London for church. BritishGirl and our colleague dropped me off with the promise to return in an hour. Well, turns out the web said sacrament was the second meeting at 2:50, but they recently changed it to the first hour, so I missed it. I was a bit bummed, but that's the way life goes, I suppose.

After church we went to Hyde park and walked around, then up to Buckingham Palace. It was interesting, but not all that fabulous. There was no changing of the guard ceremony (despite the fact that there usually is), so we didn't get to see that. It should have proved interesting, but oh well.

Then we headed back to BritishGirl's flat where we just hung out the rest of the evening. I eventually crashed around 9pm. Totally exhausted.

So far today I've had the joys of working for a few hours, with assurance that I'll be working a complete 8. Joy! Nice bits: no problems getting the power cord I needed, or my id badge set to work in this building.

Oh, and this is interesting: two of the big wigs from the Seattle office are here today and tomorrow. Herm... Interesting interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home