Sunday, September 10, 2006

Beach

MapGuy, Sweetheart, Lurch, and I went camping at the beach this weekend. Our trip wasn't terribly organized. The level of actual organization went like this, "Everybody bring what they want to eat. MapGuy, you pick the spot." Yes, the best laid plans... We ended up driving 4 hours instead of the expected three. We got lost, once. It was great fun. By the time we rolled into the camp ground it was dark and rainy.

Sweetheart had been kind enough to furnish the tents, one 6-person, one 2-person. The 2-person was small (naturally) and smelly (not so desirable). The original plan had been girls in one, guys in the other. We tossed out that option and decided to sleep head-to-toe in the big tent. That decision went like this, "Well, we're all adults, and we're all upstanding, good, Mormons. I don't think anything's going to happen, but if any one has a problem with it, speak up and we'll think up something else." No one spoke up. I think some people might have had a problem with it. I repeated the "if you have a problem..." clause a couple of times, just in case.

Lurch and I rolled out the sleeping bags, putting Sweetheart and MapGuy in the middle. I figured they'd both be more comfortable with that arrangement, as MapGuy seems petrified that I'm going to make some horrifically forward pass at him and he won't be able to stop me, or worse, he'll be able to stop me, but the rejection will end our friendship. Yeah, I'm not like that. Sorry. I am very bold, but not in seriousness. When I actually want something to happen the one course of action I'll take is to stew over why he hasn't done anything yet. Pathetic, but true.

Since we had neglected to pack wood we had to buy it. In the morning Sweetheart and I met a guy who told us, "Go down to the stop sign, turn left. There's a Shell station about 1/2 a mile down. It's not very much. And, it's not very cheap. But, it's all they've got anywhere." Brilliant. We set out. The guys eventually woke up and called me, wondering where we had gotten off to. I told them and they came and picked us up. That turned out to be a good thing, as the guy who gave us directions was off by about 10 miles. Whoops. We eventually did get wood, then we returned to camp to cook breakfast. Bacon and eggs. I splugged on the bacon, but passed on the eggs.

After breakfast we broke camp and headed for the beach. We had so much fun at the beach. I took 180 pictures. Seriously. That's how much fun we had.

As we were leaving the beach we got MapGuy's brand new car stuck in the sand and had to push-a lot-to get it out. Ahh... Good times. Too bad I didn't get a picture of that.

We went to another beach afterwards, and just as we were getting there a guy asked us if we had a tow-rope, since his car was about to be lost into the ocean. We didn't, but we offered to help in any other way we could. I got a couple of pictures of that.


Here's the to which we arrived. He had already recruited some volunteers, as you can tell.

The aftermath? Well, here's Sweetheart and MapGuy standing in the holes we had to dig around the tires. The water had already come up and receded a few times, filling them in a couple of inches, but you can get a feeling for the depths to which this guy was screwed.


Fortunately, some guy in a flat bed showed up. He happened to have a tow-rope. Lucky dude. He was sufficiently thankful for our help, but did beat a quick path off the beach.

Oh, and I got some sand in my camera. I think this happened while I was lying on my stomach digging maddly. I have to take it to a shop tomorrow to have it fixed, since I'm headed to London on Saturday, and kind of need it for that.

The return trip was moderately uneventful, excepting when MapGuy let me drive his car for the last 2 hours of the trip. Yessss!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home