Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Wit

Well, I've decided I know what I look for most in a man. He must be witty. Not just funny, but witty as well. Wit, I have concluded, is one of the least understood virtues. Given that, let's turn to dictionary.com. They define wit thus: "the keen perception and cleverly apt expression of those connections between ideas that awaken amusement and pleasure." While strictly true, I don't think this definition captures all of what "wit" really is. For me I would say that wit is a clever combination of humor and intelligence. One must be intelligent to be witty, but one can be intelligent without being witty; intelligence alone is not sufficient. Likewise, being funny is not enough to make one witty; as humor is not sufficient.

I offer as evidence: TheBoyNextDoor.
TheBoyNextDoor lived (surprisingly, I'm sure) right next door to me one summer, about 5 years ago. Wow, has it really been that long? TheBoyNextDoor and I never dated, but we would spend every Sunday afternoon on my porch talking and intellectualizing. My roommate at the time referred to it as "intellectual making out." I think she was right. We'd have so much fun, not always laughing (though those times were quite enjoyable), that I'd want the day to linger on. It never did. Eventually the summer, too, came to a close, and with that, any "relationship" we may have had. I did learn, however, that "smart" is vital.

The next piece of evidence I offer is: MyPhysicsFriendPat.
We were in physics together (duh). He's brilliant. And Funny. And witty. Oh, wow! That's a hot combination.

There are more, I assure you.

What got me thinking about all of this? Well, I was wondering how I could have allowed myself to develop a thing for RC when it occurred to me: the man is positively witty. Well, at least now I've identified the basis of his appeal. Not saying that I'm moving on, just that I've identified it.<wink>

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, man, man...
Wit is so important, just as important as generosity and compasssion...

Nice writing!

September 07, 2006 12:15 am  
Blogger Alicia M B Ballard StudioGaleria said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 07, 2006 12:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home