Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Right in the Face

I have been having sound card drama on my computer for about a month. I bought a new sound card ($160) and it didn't work (didn't have RCA jacks), so I bought another one ($200), and it didn't work, either (didn't have RCA IN jacks), so finally I picked up a third (albeit much less expensive, $20 this time) card. I brought it home, installed it, and was miffed when I was unable to get it to work.

Lurch is a hardware guy, so I had him come over to fix my computer. Now, let me just say, I hate having to ask people to fix my computer, there is something so pathetic about a computer geek being unable to fix their own machine. So, I was, clearly, at the end of my rope. He was unable to fix it.

He took the new card out, and assumed the old one would just work (as it should have). It didn't. So I have been without sound for a month. It's killing me. I remembered that I had to find a driver online when I first bought my machine, so I went in search of the link in my blog. Well, I found it here, but tragically, the link I had was broken. Saddened I set out to find the correct driver on the foxconn website.

I couldn't find it.

Tonight at dinner I was whinning to Lurch about my problem, when I remembered that at one point I had to download a driver for a European model. Tragically, I remembered it was for my printer. We also talked about the link I have on my blog. He suggested that I search Google Groups, because often people have similar problems and post their solutions. I reassured him that I had, and, infact, people were coming to my blog and following said link.

Well, that got me thinking about things. When I got home I checked out the broken link and discovered it was for a different model of mother board, specifically, the 760GXK8MC-RS insead of the -S I have. Subtle, but vital.

I downloaded the new driver (found here) and, once again, have sound on my computer! Wooo HOOO!!! Stupid solution had been staring me right in the face for weeks, and I just had to think about it differently to find it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home