Thursday, March 22, 2007

Single

Not in the "Hey, I'm not dating anyone, and that's not really news" sort of way, but rather in the much heavier, "Wow. I'm single" sort of way.

I happened into lunch with Musician today and as I sat across from the table trying to figure out what's wrong with him (he's been acting odd lately, and I'm worried about him. I don't usually worry about people, so this is concerning), and getting nothing, I thought to myself: yeah, not going to happen there. I just have to accept it.

Then, finding my friend's wife's blog, and learning they have a kid.

It just hit me: I'm really really single.

It's been 3 months since Musician decided he would rather be with Nurse. 3 years since GayPat decided he was truely, truely gay. 11 months since ExOfNote tried to kill himself. 11 months since I've been so deeply, emotionally, single. And I-don't-know-how-long since he stopped loving me.

I should be moving on, none of the men I've loved/love reciprocate any more, or, rather, still love me enough; yet, for some reason, there is a little string attached to my heart that tugs me back to a place of loneliness—to that hilltop of solitude where I sit overlooking the happypeople and wondering why I can't be one of them.

I gaze down from my perch and see them running about their busy lives. I see them happy. I see them sad, but not truely sad. Mostly, I see them not alone. I wish I weren't alone.

As my sorrow settled on me this evening I called Lurch, I needed sorbet and a shoulder. He didn't answer. I went for a drive. I needed to find that hill of solitude here. I didn't find it. What I did find, however, is that I have no one to whom I can turn. I do such an amazing job of keeping people at a perscribed distance from my heart, that when I need them, there is no one there. The hill truely is empty, and I truely am an island, alone unto myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home