Sunday, March 11, 2007

Queen Sheba

On Friday my Ethiopian coworker wanted to take a couple of us out to Ethiopian food. I'm all for trying new foods, I mean, really, I am. But, well, let me tell you a little story.

Once upon a time I had a roommate from Zimbabwe. She was really cool and would cook for me on occasion. The food was always really heavy, really greasy (lamb or goat, I believe) and really, really gross.

Given that, and the proximity of Ethiopia to Zimbabwe, you can understand my trepidation, as food knows no political borders. (Yes, I know they're not that close, but they're close enough!)

But, I had a plan: dinner right after work, so if it turned out to be horrible I could declare I wasn't that hungry and pick at it. Turns out it was great! I picked my plate clean. Nice.

They have this crazy bread that is nothing like Naan (Indian flat bread) that you eat with (they actually provided no silverware). The bread is really spongy, kind of salty, but mostly fairly tasteless. The rest of the food was spiced closer to Indian than Zimbabwean.

So, I decided I like Ethiopian food. Maybe I don't like Zimbabwean. That, or my roommate was a lousy cook, which I never really thought of before Friday night.

Oh, and the place is called (in case you're totally daft) Queen Sheiba located at 916 E John St, Seattle, WA. That would be in the heart of Capitol Hill, in case you're curious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home