Monday, February 26, 2007

Poem

We joined another ward for their annual poetry slam for Family Home Evening tonight. I was sitting next to a friend of mine who is a programmer for another massive corporation here in the Pacific North West. He also happens to be a huge Micro$oft fan. We frequently argue about Linux vs Windows. Why? Because we can.

Tonight at the slam Lurch told me I should write a poem in "That one form of Hebrew poetry where the two ideas converge in the middle."

"A chiasm?"

"Yeah, that."

My (other) geek friend said to me, "No, you should write one in pseudo-code! In C++!"

Well, I took that as a dare, and set to work.

Here's what we ended up with.

Linux != Winders

cout << "no one can serve 2 Operating Systems \n";
cout << "ls -l \n";
cout << "grep \n";
cout << "Linux r0x0rz my s0x0rz \n";
cout << "findstr? \n";
cout << "dir? \n";
cout << "for they can only hate the latter.\n";

This is read thusly:

Linux bang-equals Winders

see-out no one can serve 2 Operating Systems. slash n.
see-out ls dash l. slash n.
see-out grep. slash n.
see-out Linux rocks-orz my socks-orz. slash n. semi-colon.
see-out find stir? slash n.
see-out dir? slash n.
see-out for they can only hate the latter. slash n.

Trust me. It was hilarious.
The three of us, and the hyper-nerd from the other ward, laughed our butts off. Many of my friends enjoyed it as well, even though they didn't fully get it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I believe you that it was funny...there is NO WAY that it means squat to me! Kind of over my head :D
Love you anyways. I think this is the first poem you have ever written that I have absolutly NO opinion on if I like it or not!

February 27, 2007 9:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home