Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Missionary Moments

Monday night for Family Home Evening we baked brownies and took them to the members of our ward who haven't been in a while. Fun service project. Our lesson coordinated with the activity—Sister Bishop taught a lesson about missionary work. The Elders gave us all Pass-along Cards to hand out. One of the guys there suggested that we each hand out at least one card this week, then next week talk about it. We took up the challenge, and I upped the ante by exclaiming: "The girls are totally going to school the guys!" He retaliated, "It's on!!"

The only problem? Who on Earth do I give a pass-along card to?

Tonight as I was driving I took the wrong exit, so ended up at the wrong end of the mall. As I was making the correcting turn I saw a woman standing next to hear car parked on the side of the busy road, right off the freeway off-ramp. I have a personal rule that goes thus: If I ever see a woman at the side of the road obviously needing help, no matter what (unless I think she might kill me) I stop and offer my help.

Naturally I pulled over. She had a flat tire, and wasn't sure how to jack up the car and change it. I offered to help, and she said thanks, but she had help coming. I told her that we should just do it anyway, that way she could be on her way sooner, and, anyway, who knows how long it was going to take her sister's boyfriend (it turns out) to get there, since it was the end of rush hour. We got the tire changed, and just as we were lowering the car to tighten the lug nuts her friend arrived.

She thanked me so much for my help and asked if she could give me money or anything for my help. I told her no, that was ok, I was just living my manta. Then, as I was about to leave, I asked her, "Can I give you something? I know this is kind of cheesy, but I want to give you this. I'm Mormon, and..." she paused me, "Oh, my friend who works at InternetCompany and his family is Mormon." So, I asked her if I could give it to her, she took it, and thanked me, and I left.

So, I did it. I felt totally hokey, but, I did it. Weirdness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home