Sunday, March 04, 2007

Dear-heart

Wednesday night was Temple night. It was also one of the worst days of the year thus far. Nevermind all that. The Temple was great!

Afterwards we went out for ice cream and Musician and I ended up sitting at the same table chatting about politics. He made an assertion, I countered it, and he completly disagreed with what I said. Shortly thereafter he said, "That's because, dear-heart, blah blah blah." I really hate it when he says that to me. There's a bit of condecention in his tone, and, grr, I just really hate it.

Today while we were chatting he brought up that conversation and retracted part of what he said. I took the opportunity to say to him, "You know when you call me 'dear-heart'..."

"Yeah, it totally ticked you off!" He said with a smile.

"Yes, it did." Then I, impressivly enough, took the oportunity to tell him that I really hated it when he called me that, especially his inflection when saying it. He indicated that it wasn't his intention to be condisending and apologized a few times. Then, he did something I hardly expected: he thanked me for letting him know. I don't know if he was thanking me so that he could be more careful in the way he talks to people when in debates, or because he'd rather know than it ruin our friendship. Either way, I'm glad I told him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home