Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

Last month I acquiesced to a number of requests and volunteered to the Second Counselor in the Bishopric that, "If you give me a month's lead time, I'd be willing to play the cello in Sacrament Meeting."

He replied, "How about Father's Day?"

It was barely a month away.

I agreed, then proceeded to start freaking out.

I called my dad and asked him what his favorite hymn is, thinking that I could play that. After some discussion, he ended up suggesting "O My Father". I thought that was perfect, and as the song had crossed my mind a number of times since I was asked to play I determined that I should play it.

Initially I figured I would just play that which was in the hymnal. I decided, however, to extend myself and try to find a nice cello arrangement online. I searched at found this arrangement.

It was evident straight away that some changes needed to be made. The fact that it was set to accompany a singer was the first thing to go. Which, if you'll note the cello line, leaves some interesting problems.

Oh, and the THREE key changes? Yeah, I'm not nearly that talented.

In the end, I (essentially) played the singer's part, with a few exceptions where I combined the two, and I chickened out and stopped right before the first key change. All-in-all I was pretty pleased with the altered arrangement (I certainly wouldn't begin to take credit for "arranging" anything).

I think my nervousness finally hit me last night as I was practicing. Lydia (my cello) was very out of tune, and I couldn't get it right. I called Musician and asked him if he could help me tune her. He readily agreed. Bless him. As I was leaving his house he reassured me that I would do great. I wasn't so certain.

I was, however, thrilled to see him at church today. I knew that if nothing else, his emotional support, and understanding, was pouring out in my direction. I made one (minor) mistake, but other than that was mostly pleased with how it ended up. I looked for him right after Sacrament, but he had apparently had to run.

A few hours later I received a text message from him (impressive, since he doesn't really "do" text messages) that read simply: "U did great". I know I didn't do great, but I'm so thankful that he said it anyway. Not many people really said anything about it aside from a few comments that were mostly, "I didn't know you played cello." I know that it's not the compliments that matter, but it would be nice to get some feedback on how I sounded. I wonder if anyone would have noticed if I had played with perfection. I doubt it. Maybe that's why they didn't say anything. That, or I really was that bad!

You know, as I think about it, ExOfNote probably would have told me the places where I made mistakes, which I would have appreciated, but, it is nice to have someone encourage you, no matter how not wonderful you do. I hope that they next person I fall in love with is that kind of guy. I really, really do. I also hope Nurse knows just how lucky she is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home