Sunday, June 10, 2007

Telltale

You know those words that you've used all your life, and you know what they mean, but if someone asked you to define one you'd be stuck blubbering like an idiot? Enterprising, for instance.

Or, those words that you hear a fair bit, and think you know the definition of, but one day, you're curious, so you look it up, and it turns out you were wrong? Chartreuse maybe. Or perhaps vapid.

How about those words that you know and use all the time, but don't really know? Take "available." I was in high school when I learned that there is no 'd' in "avaidable," but rather an 'l'.

Do you remember the epiphany you felt when you first discovered this? Did you go around repeating the word with definition over and over again, mulling it out? Maybe I'm just a freak.

This morning I was sitting thinking about something when the word "telltale" came into my mind. I rolled it around once, twice, getting a feel for it. Suddenly, it occurred to me that the words that make up this one weren't the words I had always assumed. It rapidly became clear to me exactly what a telltale sign is. It is (and I'm sure you have already had this epiphany): a something that tells a tale, something that ruins the punchline, such as it were.

I've been repeating it all day, almost as if I stop the realization will fade. Maybe it will. Best not take the chance.

Tell tale.
Tell-tale.
Telltale.
Tell tale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home