Saturday, June 02, 2007

De-Moted

Tuesday evening I decided it was time to give TreeHugger a call to confirm our date for Friday night. I called. He didn't answer, so I left a message.

He finally called me back. Thursday.

He asked me how my trip was. I asked him how his weekend was. Things were swell. Then it came time to confirm. He asked if we could move it to Saturday, as he had "a...ward...thing" Friday night. I agreed, then he specified: lunch. Yes, kids, that's right. I've been demoted from Friday night to Saturday...lunch.

A friend of mine offered as consolation: "Well, lunch is safe. Plus, if it goes really well if can go on and on." Slight consolation. I guess I shouldn't be so bummed.

The odd thing, which is what probably bothers me the most, is the boy is now, firmly, in charge. I have lost all control over this date, as you shall see shortly.

"Great!" he exclaimed, sounding excited, "I'll call you Saturday."

"Uh," I replied hesitantly, "Do you want to give me a time range? You know, like, 'between noon and 4'...?"

He laughed, "Yeah, let's say noon and 1."

"Sounds good," I said, "talk to you then."

Blargh.

Fast forward to tonight. I was talking to Ninja about this "ward...thing," and it turns out that his ward did have a "thing." More correctly, they had a bon fire. She was going, but, naturally, I couldn't because that would be a bit stalker-esque.

As I was getting ready to head out with Lurch on my back-up plans TreeHugger called again. He apologized, and asked if we could move it to next week, Wednesday or Thursday. Tragically, his grandfather died last night, and he is headed out of town Saturday for the funeral. He returns Tuesday. Which leads us to a new question: is the Wednesday or Thursday a request to have a date a soon as possible? Or, is it to just get the date over with, and leave him with his Friday/Saturday?

I really, really, really, need to stop over analyzing this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home