Monday, May 28, 2007

Worry Wart

I needn’t worry: breaking the news to my aunt about my veganism was easier than I thought. Friday night I arrived at their home and she offered me dinner. She pulled out a jello and cool whip salad. I begged off explaining, “I doubt you remember, but I can’t eat dairy—I’m allergic.”

“That’s too bad!” she exclaimed, “Here, have some pork.”

“Uh,” I stammered, “actually, I don’t eat that much meat, so I think I’m going to pass on that. Thanks.”

I ended up with a lovely diner of veggies and veggies and a banana.

She didn’t quite get how I could think that was so delicious.

Saturday for lunch she asked me, “Now, Granola, I was thinking about making a taco soup. It has only a little bit of dairy and a little bit of meat. Would that be ok?”

I inquired after what kind of dairy she said, “A can of cream of potato soup.”

“Yeah, I can’t have that. What kind of meat?”

“Well, let’s read the ingredients” she offered.

2 cans of chili con carne
2 cans of kidney beans
1 can of cream of potato soup
1/2 pound of ground beef
2 cans of beef broth


“Well,” I said with a smile, “we might as well put the meat in it.”

Only after we had completed making it, and dinner was served did I learn she made it especially for me.

Definitely the meatiest Vegan meal I've ever had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home