Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Eviction Notice

When I got home this evening I discovered a note in my door. It was from the management, allow me to quote from it:

Dear Resident:

The attached notice is being sent to you because at this time our records are not reflecting a payment for your account. If this is an error please contact Cristine Xxxxxx the new Operations Manager for assisance.

Thank you,

[signed]

Christine Xxxxxx

The attached reads (and, I kid you not)

THREE DAY PAY RENT OR VACATES (RCW 59.12.030(3)

yOU AND EACH OR YOU ARE HERBY NOTIFIED and informed that the rend for the period below for premisis situatied in the above county and at the above address is now DUE AND PAYABLE by MONEY ORDER OR CASHIERS CHECK in the follwoing amounts:

RENT $XXX.XX
...
Late Charges Persuant to Rental Agreement $75.00
+DAILY LATE FEE of $5.00 Per Day From the 7th Until Paid In FUll.
TOTAL DUE AND PAYABLE $xxx.xx

AND YOU ARE HERBY NOTIFIED and required to pay the above total in full to the undersigned or his agent named below, within three (3) days for the date of the date of service of this notice upon you, or the alternative, to vacate and surrender the permise. IN THE EVEN of your failure to do so within the said period, you will be guilty of unlawful detainee and subject to eviction as provided by law.

THREE DAY PAY OR VACATE

Seriously. Because the rent was (in their opinion) 4 days late?! I don't even get a phone call? Uh, no.

So I called Christine.

That conversation went thusly:
"Hey. I just got home and I had a notice saying I didn't pay my rent. Except I put it in the drop box Sunday night." (actually, it was Monday morning at 7am. But they werne't there, so who cares.

"Ok. Well, sometimes things happen and we lose checks."

"Wait? You lose checkes? How?!"

"Well, sometimes when we pull the checks out of the box it's windy." I'm sorry, but if it's so windy that the checks are scattered when you attempt to pull them out of the little box WAIT until it dies down you effing moron.

"The weather?"

"Yes." Have I mentioned before that I think Christine is a complete idiot? If I haven't allow me to do so now: she's a lying, incompetant, idiot.

"Okaaaaayyyyy...."

"So," she has the balls to ask, "can you get us a check in the next three days?"

"No." I replied very seriously.

"What?" She gasped. I don't think she's used to people telling her no.

"No. I can't get you a check. Not with the other one lost and floating around somewhere. I have to wait to see what happens with that check, if it gets cashed or anything. I'm not going to pay the $50 stop-payment on the check plus a $75 late fee because you guys lost my check."

"Well," she said huffily, "If you don't pay your rent, I have to inform you, then we will send your information to our lawyers can you believe right out of the gate she's threatening to sic her lawyers on me? and then you will be evicted."

"So, you're saying, I have to pay a $50 stop check fee and a $75 dollar late fee because you lost my check?! Or I get evicted? I don't think so."

At this point she rudly inturrupted me, telling me that that is not what she said. She also went on to back peddle and tell me that if I bring a recipt from my bank the management will absorb the cost of my stop-payment. Damn-right they will! I was, at this point (in case you couldn't tell) fuming. She made the fatal error of saying, "If there is anything else I can do, don't hesitate to call and ask for me."

"Well, actually," I said, "since I have you on the phone, what's the deal with our overpriced utility bill?"

She gave me some crap story about how they were taking care of that and we should see an improvement on our next bill. Sure. I'll believe that when I see it.

"If there is anything else I can do for you," she started again.

"Yeah. There is. What's the deal with painting my building for the third time in 6 months? And, how come I didn't recieve a notification that you'd be doing anything."

"You did receieve a notification." She lied.

"No. I didn't."

She told me that she'd "Have to talk to my girls" and see why not. She also told me that the previous contractor had made some mistakes so they were fixing them because "We don't want you living in an unsightly building."

I really wanted to tell her that the 5 different shades of baby vomit they had picked to paint our buildings wasn't helping their cause, then. I stopped myself.

But, I'm still mad.

In fact, I sent out an email tonight to someone hoping to take a look at their place and move in as soon as possible. I am sick and tired of this horrible management. I mean, seriously, 4 days late with the rent and they're threatening to kick me out? Worse than that, however, is the incessant lying about the utilities. I can't get a straight answer out of anyone in that office. It has beyond reached the point of pissing me off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home