Tuesday, April 01, 2008

For the Taking

My boss called me into his office today and told me that he's leaving the team at the end of the month.

And (essentially), his job is mine for the taking.

I'm not sure I want it. Talking it over with him he repeated something that his boss said to me a month ago: I'm much closer to this promotion than the one I want.

My frustration comes in that, yes, they're right. Why are they right? Well, I spend 75% of my time not coding, which is what I want to do, what I love, what I went to school for, and what I want to do full time. That hasn't happened because I spend most of my time putting out other people's fires. I can't get my own work done because other people need me to do their job. Frankly, I'm already doing managerial work. That's why this promotion is closer.

The people I've talked to about this have suggested that I just take the money and run. It seems that's the common consensus. Honestly, I'm concerned that continuing to pass up on this promotion will be detrimental to my career at this company.

So, I suppose it's time to, as they say, fish or cut bait. Make this career move or make a bigger one in the way of company move. Maybe it really is time to dust off my resume.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home