Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Favors

Fox told me that there were a few Deaf people in her ward, and the usual interpreters (who are volunteers) aren't all that great. I didn't fully believe her until I sat through Sacrament meeting and could hardly understand the interpreter.

During Sunday School I sat with them and chatted briefly before class. At one point the signer asked me for a word, which I had forgotten. Then, quickly, remembered. I gave it to her, and on she went. She was better than the interpreter during Sacrament meeting, but not that good.

After Sunday School she asked if I would interpret for Relief Society because she had to leave a bit early. I said sure, and went and made myself comfortable.

The lesson went well, and I discovered how many church signs I had managed to forget. Also, how lousy my finger spelling is.

After class, however, the deaf sister I had interpreted for asked me if I was an interpreter. "No." I told her. "Years ago I took some classes, but never got my license because I have a minor hearing problem which makes it hard to hear everything." This was evidenced by the few times I had to tell her that I couldn't hear or understand the people who were speaking.

I think the things that made her ask were:
1. I was actually able to keep relatively close to the speed of the class, and capture what was said.
2. When people in the class raised their hands to make comments I indicated that someone had raised their hand, and their location in the room before interpreting what they said.
3. The sister teaching the lesson got overwhelmed with emotion at a few points and I noted those times so she'd know what was going on.
4. I kept the editorializing to a minimum, but there were a few times when I indicated that the room was silent (after a question), or that someone had a notable inflection.
5. Body shifting for different speakers.
6. At one point the teacher said something, then paused... then said another word...then paused longer... then said some more... (she was having difficulty speaking, mostly due to emotion, but also due to the fact that she has a speech impediment). When that happened I signed what she said...then ... each... word... as she managed it. The end result was an exacting emphasis as the teacher had spoken it.
7. The two times that I was unable to make out fully what was being said (a quiet speaker in the back of the room, and the teacher's speech) I indicated that I couldn't hear/understand what was said. But, as soon as I figured it out I gave a summary, by first indicating, "Ah! Summary:" I think that was really helpful.

Anyway, wow. What a great opportunity. I love interpreting, I just wish I were better.

Oh, and the sister who asked me to interpret for Relief Society made her way over to Sissi's house that evening and thanked me for interpreting, and to let me know that she enjoyed watching me sign. She also asked if I was as interpreter.

With any luck she learned a few new things on Sunday that will help her be a better interpreter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home