Wednesday, May 07, 2008

I Don't Know, Either

LaBoca made a, predictably, bad decision today. I pushed back and asked her why she was doing what she was doing. I identified two problems and suggested alternative solutions.

Her curt reply said, essentially, "I'm not a moron, Granola, and I have every intention of doing this horribly bad thing." Her reasoning, I'm certain, is that it makes her look good to external teams. Say nothing of the extra work she's causing for us, or the lack of confidence she's instilling.

My buddy (who is her direct report) replied to her email questioning her logic. She called him into her office to 'talk' about it. He told me shortly thereafter that we had probably best be on our best behavior, and walk on eggshells around her.

I feel bad for drawing him into my mess, and understand why he feels that way. I, on the other hand, have no intention of bowing down to her—there is very little she can do to me.

Later another coworker came over to my desk and we sat around and gossiped about her incompetency for about 30 minutes. No one was around, except one fellow. However, I wasn't particularly worried about him overhearing. Plus, we never said her name.

At one point I expressed the opinion that I had no clue how she managed to rise to the level she's at, given her utter incompetency. My coworker suggested that people rise to the level that is their own incompetency, and then flounder in those positions, getting nothing done, and raising no further. In this case, I hope he's right.

After he left my neighbor popped his head over the cube wall, "For what it's worth, Granola, I have no idea how she got to that level either. She used to work with us, and she caused more problems than she solved."

Excellent. The people who know what a train wreck she is are all in exactly the wrong position to do a thing about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home