Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Interviews

I had two "interviews" today.

The first one was with a team internal to InternetCompany. Mostly we just chatted about the position and the team. This one would be a promotion. I'm excited for the opportunity, and hope I get the chance. I have to tell my boss that I'm looking around, so I have to wait until he gets back from vacation before I can officially apply. Definitely going to follow through with them.

The second was a phone screen with an outdoors company. I felt like I really nailed the interview, until the last few questions. The interviewer asked what I consider to be my greatest career failure. Personally, I think this is the crappiest question. The interviewer doesn't really learn anything here. Also, I've been really blessed to have consistently been on major projects that launch, and look good. The other question that I think really blew my chances with them came down to salary.

"So, how much do you make at InternetCompany?"

"Around $X k."

"So $X-1k?"

"No, right around $X k."

"$X+1k?"

"No. $X and change."

He wasn't excited about that figure, but went on to ask what my salary requirements would be of them. "Well, honestly, I'm in Seattle, and I'd like to maintain the same standard of living, so right around that amount."

"Um, just so you know, we work 40-45 hour work weeks usually."

"Um... okay...? Don't most people?"

"No, some work 50 or so."

"Oh, well, I work 40-45. I do work more when required, but I like to keep that to a minimum."

"I see, so with that in mind, about what is your salary expectation?"

"Right around $X k."

Sounds like I'm too rich for their blood. After that he kind of wrapped up the interview. I've done enough of these phone screens myself to know when the answer is 'no,' and I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be 'Thanks for applying, but I don't think it's going to work out." Too bad, I'd love to work for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home