Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Irksome

While plans were being rearrange for this evening, I was sitting in Bill's car eavesdropping. He was clearly annoyed with his sister's selfish antics (which I shan't go into, but suffice it to say: she came to town to visit him and would, apparently, rather hang out with an old childhood friend). At one point he was expressing his frustration at the lack of planning that has happened regarding this camping trip. "Frankly," he said frustratedly, "I feel like I'm being pulled in all sorts of directions, and nothing is happening. You're pulling me one way, and YourFriend is pulling me one way, and my friend is here pulling me another way!"

In all honesty, his words stung. First off, since he announced that we were going to go camping with his sister I've been leery of the whole thing, and after the sorority camping trip that was apparently planned, I have offered to just bow out and we can go camping some other time. So, dragging me into the conversation with "my friend is here pulling me another way," just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Hell, I told him I would back out gracefully if the drinking party was the way things were headed. But, more than that, (and I know it's kind of ridiculous), but his choice of words were really what hurt. He couldn't have said, "my friend, Granola, is..." no. Rather he had to go for a vague a reference to me as humanly possible.

My sister, Wolf, thinks I'm reading too much into it. I'm not fully convinced that I am. I mean, we've been friends for over a year. Surely at some point he's had cause to mention me—especially since we spend so much freaking time together. Guess not. I suppose I'm just one of the many women in his life who he just happens upon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home