Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Buttons!

Sunday afternoon I showed up at Bill's place, where we hung out for a few minutes before heading out to go on our weekly bike ride. I was talking to him, and then my eyes were drawn to his neck. Or, more specifically, the new bruise on his neck. The mouth-sized bruise on his neck!

Mid-whatever it was he was saying I said, "Do you have a hickey!?"

"Yeah," he replied, embarrassed, which well he should be. A hickey! It thus became my duty to mock him for it. Turns out he met a very nice young woman at a party the night before. Charming. Out of niceness I told him there exist some herbs that he can put on it to reduce the effects of the bruise. He asked if we could please go pick some up. When we got to the pharmacy they were closing for the day, so we had to rush. Not finding any of what we were looking for I glanced another product. "You know what would help?" I called across the short aisles.

"What?" came his desperate plea.

"This," I said with a smirk in my voice as I held aloft... preparation H!

We decided to pick some up. As his purchase was being rung up I imagined what must have going through the mind of the cashier. There we were, guy and girl, buying preparation H. He clearly had a hickey, but I was making him make the purchase, and laughing the whole while. Either way she must have concluded that we are extremely close.

As is my duty, I continued to tease him throughout the day. At one point he threatened, "If you keep that up I'm not going to try to hide it, and I'll tell everyone at work that you're responsible for it!"

Giggling, I replied, "Go for it! I'll play right along."

He wisely thought better of his threat. But, Monday at work I knew he was going to have issues hiding his new "love bite." Early in the morning I popped into his office to see his efforts. He was wearing a collared shirt, with one too many buttons done up (the second to the top button, which was oddly high). "Nice shirt!" I said with a smirk, "it has so many buttons!" Dutifully, he blushed and thanked me. We got up and left the room, and once out of earshot of his colleagues I busted out laughing.

Today he didn't even try hiding it. Now I'm certain that everyone thinks I'm responsible. Oh, I wish I were.

PS, she's apparently, "not a keeper." Yay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home