Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Camping!

Theoretically, Bill and his sister and (apparently) his sister's best friend and the best friend's boyfriend and I are going camping this weekend. We'll see if that actually comes to fruition.

Reasons why I'm a little concerned for this-here trip:
1. He mentioned to the best friend that we should all go camping. She thinks this is a great idea and has (he believes) become quite the outdoors woman, so she though she was supposed to plan it. Her current plan? Toss a bunch of beer in the car and drive up to nowhere and drink for two nights straight.

2. His sister is quite prissy—so much so that if we actually succeed in backpacking Bill will be carrying her gear.

3. His sister is excited to go camping. My fear (based on point 2) is, it has everything to do with point 1.

4. Not to harp on point 1, but anyone who thinks camping should involve numerous cases of beer and a big fire is not (a) really as outdoorsy as she wants to believe; and (b) someone I really want to camp with.

5. Bill's backpacking/camping experience totals well under a month—all amassed earlier this summer.

6. To combine points 2, 4, and 5: that means I have 3-4 inexperience (or only moderately experienced) campers, and only one me. Those ratios aren't particularly in my favor. Babysitting 1 or 2 is hard enough by yourself, but 3 or 4? That's going to be a challenge.

7. Bill expressed to me his desire to plan this trip, so I have done nothing (save replace my first aid kit (150 bucks, thankyouverymuch, but I got stuff I shouldn't have to replace anytime soon (with any measure of luck)).

8. My moon is scheduled to start Saturday. If it starts on time we'll hiking in the back country. At this point I don't know if I want it to start early (like, tomorrow) or chance it that the strenuous backpacking will slip me a day or two. Either way, I am planning ahead, but still...fun! Though, I have backpacked on my moon before, so I'll be fine.

9. I lost all my gear at my last move, and have to beg, borrow, or rent gear. Since we haven't planned anything yet I don't have a list of what we're in need of. If we get it all timed right I might be ok to get everything together on Thursday. If. Oh, and extra people means extra gear. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to borrow it all.

10. I don't care how nice Bill is: I'm not carrying other people's gear. They want to sleep in a tent, they can help carry.

We're all going to dinner tomorrow night to plan. I'll let you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home