Sunday, August 03, 2008

Longest Ride, Yet

As it turns out, I'm not half shabby at bike riding. There are still a few things I really (really) need to learn—like standing up (for hills), and not swerving into traffic, and starting without needing to be on the seat, and, well, pretty much anything except going straight.

That said, Bill and I went on a nice long bike ride this afternoon. We went from his apartment to Pike Place Market. It was a nice, hard, ride. Oh, and it was 3.3 miles, for those keeping score. I did mostly really well, but a couple of times did some dumb things. Also, I freaked out a couple of times and was unable to get myself back in the zone for a few minutes after that. It was kind of scary, but all in all a good exercise. He's all about just jumping in and doing it. I, on the other hand, would probably be perfectly happy to just spin around the neighborhood a million more times. Well, that's not strictly true—I am getting a little bored of the same square block over and over again.

Bill asked me if I am keeping a log of how far I bike. I said no, and honestly, I can't imagine why I would. I think he's saying it out of encouragement. He was really good at encouraging me today. Well, both he and Cyclist are good encouragers. In all honesty, for riding a bike for one week, I'm actually quite happy with my progress so far.

Oh, and no spills, which has been really nice. Just a lot of getting intimately acquainted with my bike seat, if you know what I mean.

When we first started out Bill was in front of me hollering at me to "come on" and "hurry up!" I yelled back, "Yeah, yeah! I'm working on it! Shut up!"

The people crossing the street behind me laughed and one woman said, "You go girl! Tell him how it is!" I had to laugh at that one.

Later, as we were leaving Pike Place Market I accidentally swerved into traffic. It gave both of us (and the driver behind me) quite a fright. Bill said that I should go in the front and he'd stay behind me to keep traffic at bay. A few other encouraging words were uttered and I said, ok and headed off. The East Indian tourists who were standing at the side of the road took the opportunity to comment. She said, "Oh! What a great man you have! You're very lucky! Hang on to him!" Her husband, on the other hand, had much more practical (and applicable) advice to offer: "Remember, you only die once!"

The good news? Today wasn't that day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home