Saturday, August 30, 2008

Long Weekend

Thursday's work day has extended to this weekend. I'm not sure if you noticed, but this is supposed to be a three-day weekend. Theoretically things were supposed to happen during the day Friday extending into the evening. Then things moved around to Friday during the day, Friday night, and into Saturday morning.

It is now Saturday morning. Things have slipped to include all day today, and into the evening.

Friday afternoon LaBoca (who is on call this weekend, and has been trying desperately to get out of it—give me a break, it's a holiday weekend) called me and asked if my team is involved in this nightmare I shall henceforth refer to as "The Weekend from Hell." I replied that yes, we were, but with limited impact. She went on to ask me if I would monitor everything for our entire arm of the company across the board. I agreed, though I'm not really sure why. Well, I am sure why, for some reason my brain said "for the area that you're concerned with." She also looped in her little lackey to 'help'. Luckily for me, said lackey is actually equally incompetent, though causes considerably less damage as she whines so loudly people eventually do her job for her. More on this later. I'm not sure how she's supposed to "help". And, with things moving into today, she has declared that she'll be out of town, so it's all me. Thanks, so glad you guys bothered to get her involved.

As things were quickly moving into the weekend someone of great import declared over a conference call (in which my boss was present), "If people from such-and-such a team end up working over the weekend, go ahead and give them Tuesday off." As of our conversation an hour following that call, I do not have Tuesday off.

In giving a summary to the developers I mentioned that this might be going into Sunday, and golly wasn't that fun, oh, and I get to be at work on Tuesday! Yay! Clearly I had hit that point of frustration and, well, borderline tears. The dev manager with whom I work very closely came out of his office for an update. My kind dev said to him, "As it stands now, things are going into Sunday, and Granola's manager hasn't indicated that she can take Tuesday off. Is there any reason (aside from the one issue which she has to deal with every week) that we absolutely need Granola here on Tuesday?" As he paused to mull this over the developer helped him along by saying, "There's a correct answer to this one."

Brilliantly, his manager reached the correct decision and said, "No, there isn't. If you're not here at your desk on Tuesday I will certainly understand. And, if anyone asks I'll tell them you're working from home." Someone else offered to answer my phone. Since she sounds nothing like me I jokingly said, "Hello, Granola's phone. No, I'm sorry, she's in the washroom. ... later ... No, she's still in the washroom. Yeah, I dunno what's going on either." As we were having this discussion I suddenly realized, thanks to LaBoca's lackey's whining (I mentioned that she whines when she doesn't want to work, right?) I am on call starting Monday. So, I get to be in the office on Tuesday no matter what. Excellent.

The dev manager amended his offer of a comp day to be any time where I'm able to get away. I'm considering taking next Friday. But, then again, if Bill and I actually decide to go up to Canadia to see the Aurora Borealis, I might just take one of those days as comp. On the other hand, that's two weeks away, and I kind of would like the recovery time a bit earlier. Who knows.

Oh, have I mentioned that the dev manager isn't actually my boss, and doesn't really have much of a say in what I do? But, we work together far more closely than my real manager and I do. So, yeah, that's nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home