Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Org-wide Initiative

Last week we were made aware of an ill thought out organization-wide initiative which literally paused all work for two weeks while we have a fire drill. Said effort was set to begin Monday. As of today things are finally falling into place. Well, falling into place for everyone by the QA groups.

My dev team had a meeting at 3:30-4:30. I asked the dev manager if he had any insight into what was going on. No, I was told. Do you? The best I could tell him was earlier I walked by an office where my boss and the qa leads who report directly to him where locked in a room, and from the sounds of it, in heated discussion. I assumed we'd find out more sometime Thursday.

When I got back to my desk I had a meeting request, and a missed call. The missed call was from my boss. He wanted me to call him back. Tonight. And, if I couldn't reach him at his desk, I was to try his cell, anytime tonight. I was, understandably concerned. It seems that he holds little regard for the work I do, and interacts with me as infrequently as possible.

I called his desk.

He wasn't there, so I tried his cell. He answered.

At this point I shall pause and tell you what I expected to hear. I expected that he was going to rehash what was going on (check); tell me that my dev team wasn't doing much for this effort (true, and check); inform me that I was going to have to do the testing for the other team I've been partially lent out to (check); and that was about it. Mostly, I assumed this was a courtesy call because the last time he assigned me work with this other team it was poorly communicated and I may have reacted quite negatively (in my defense, I was feeling stressed, and had just learned that my cousin-nephew had died, and I was being told that I was supposed to be doing this testing by someone else who was asking me for my status update—it wasn't pretty).

As he was communicating these points to me I agreed. When he got to the "test the other team's stuff" I said, "of course, naturally." To indicate that I understood, and wasn't going to make a big deal about it.

Then, the twist ending sprang upon me. "And," he said, "I'd like you to head drive this from the QA side of things. I have seen you take care of things, and I really think you can drive this and get everything taken care of, and get people to do their part." Oh, wow. Sure. Frankly, it's nice to know that he actually sees my work as something valuable. Honestly, I've worried that my performance review was not going to be pretty, and that he was just biding his time to get rid of me. I don't really think that he's seen my efforts himself, what I do think, though, is that he's seen the reviews that my peers have written (we're in the midst of that joy right now) and is (finally) going to take the positive things written about me at face value. Thank you. Very Much.

I'm quite pleased with this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home