Thursday, February 19, 2009

Relative

I am continually baffled when I learn my ranking in people's list of friends. I suppose I must rank my friends at some level (even if it's just subconsciously). Some people are more obviously ranked (Bill is pretty much #1 these days, in case you missed that memo). Spazz ranks pretty high on that list, too. But people's general order and ranking is amazingly fluid—I spend time with a lot of people, but I don't have that many super close friends.

Today I was waking with Spazz when she told me that I'm her closest friend in Seattle. I was more than a little surprised. In thinking about it, it sort of makes sense, but I would have thought her other friend who she knew when she moved out here would have ranked higher than I.

I don't think I lack confidence, so why am I surprised when people esteem me higher than I thought they would?

1 Comments:

Blogger Memory Keeper said...

Maybe you are surprised by your 'ranking' by your friends because you don't spend a great deal of time contemplating it. You are busy being a friend to others and not about how others may see you.

February 20, 2009 11:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home