Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Status, More than Just a Number

At most companies employees are ranked in levels. InternetCompany is no exception. Most everyone starts out as a level 1 and tops out at a level 3. There are lots of different promotion paths, but, basically, if you're in the same job, you work your way up through the levels.

I am currently still a level 1. It's not awesome, and I honestly think that my opportunity for promotion was stolen from me at my last review. The combination of poor managers and stupid mistakes and stupider responses all managed to land me still at a level 1, but with all the joy and pain of a level 2. I should also mention that there is no way on this earth that I'm getting a promotion this go 'round. Why? Because my goals sucked and nothing is really promotable in them. On the plus side, my boss chatted with me at my last one on one about getting things in motion for working my way to a promotion next year. Why next year and not at the mid-year mark? I have no idea. Oh, wait, probably because he has absolutely no idea what I actually do.

But, all that aside.

I was talking to one of my devs this evening (I should pause here to note he's the only level 3 on our team, and quite respected by everyone, myself included). He motioned for me to come into his cube, and then, lowering his voice into a conspiratorial whisper said, "I was writing your review last week and noticed that you're just a level one?" There was an italics around the number, and the question mark.

"Yup," I responded in equally lowered tones.

"The f--k?" he asked point blankly. Not one to swear, and certainly not one to swear in italics, I think we all get his point. "From what you do, and from how much you help other people do their work, and how you talk, I can't believe you're just a level one."

We talked about it briefly, and he asked me what he, and the other devs, could do to help ensure that gets remedied as quickly as possible. I really appreciate his recognition, and his offer. To be frank, I hope that all my reviews from all the devs were that positive that my boss has no option but to give me a promotion. I doubt it. But, it certainly would be nice.

At the end of the day, I really do appreciate being appreciated it. And, it's good to know that other people see the work I do and value it, even if my boss has no idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home