Thursday, July 30, 2009

To Thine Ownself be True

Bill, as you may recall, got himself a girlfriend a while back. As you can imagine, this did not thrill me. But, to be perfectly honest, he doesn't reciprocate my feelings, and so, as much as it sucks, I'd rather he be happy with someone else than miserable alone.

Except he hasn't been happy since very early on. There's nothing wrong with her (she's quite nice, and smart!) but, she doesn't make him happy. He's lamented this fact to me a number of times, and we've talked about it a lot. Initially, I told him to wait it out and see if this wasn't just a short phase. As days turned to weeks it became evident that this wasn't a week-long funk. This was simply a matter of him not feeling it.

The next time we talked about it I encouraged him to talk with her about it, and, if necessary, end things.

Friday night he finally did. I feel bad that he feels bad, but it was necessary, and I think, ultimately he'll be happier for it. But, for now, he's mopey.

The thing is, as sad as he is about the break up, he's really just sad that his relationship ended, not that his relationship with this girl has ended. Once as he recognizes and accepts that he'll probably move on much more quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home