Monday, September 07, 2009

Devil's in the Details

Bill is going to go visit his grandparents this week. He called his grandmother to chat about final plans for the visit while we drove to dinner. Part way into the conversation he said, "yeah, she's in the car... No, she's not coming on this trip." Then he turned to me and said, "My grandma says 'hi'." "Hi, Grandma!" I say back. Because, you know, it's a law somewhere that you're not allowed to not say hi back to people's grandmothers. Pretty sure of it.

When he hung up the phone Bill turned to me and sheepishly said, "so, yeah... my grandparents know about you."

"Clearly. What have you told them?"

"Well, you're my best friend in Seattle, of course your name is going to come up! I don't know what all I've told them. They know that I'm living with this girl, and her name is Granola."

"Um, does she know I'm just your roommate?"

The only word to describe his expression is: "whoops." "Oh, um..." he stuttered, "I'm not sure."

Ah, so that's why granny was curious if I was coming on the trip—she wants to meet the girl her beloved grandson is shacking up with.

Sorry to disappoint (?) but, no. No, we're not living together, Biblically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home