Thursday, February 17, 2005

Couches and a Strangely (Un)related Topic

Tonight I showed my roommate the couch that I want to buy when I get my own place (rather than the nasty couch my landlord has currently furnished us with). She commented that it didn't really go with the decor of our home. I assured her that it was "my grown-up couch for my grown-up house, when I get my grown-up job." She laughed and exclaimed: "And, your grown-up husband!" The look of horror on my face did not go unnoticed, but, I pointed it out anyway. She laughed again and assured me: "Granola, you're much more of a feminist than I will ever be! And, I admire you for that." Wow. Niceness. The funny thing is, I consider her to be quite the feminist, as well (no, neither of us are womyn, don't worry); but, she's actually going to do something about it when she grows up. I totally admire that in her, I mean, the atrocities wrought against women and children in other countries are appalling, and while I plan on staying here, being increasingly grateful that I have all that I have, and encouraging those organizations that fight against such things, she is actually going to be doing the fighting.

I imagine that her (future) husband (they'll be getting married this summer) will be right along side her, buoying her cause. In reality, she has brought to the forefront of my attention many of the horrific things being done to women and children across the world. And, in all honesty, I would love to be out there, fighting for those children and women, but my own fears of poverty have lead me on a career path that can, in nowise applicable, be of any use. By the same token, it is women like her, who need women like me to fund them. Thus, I shall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home