Friday, May 27, 2005

Indi-Rockers, Artisans, and Granolas

My roommate is really into the indi-rock/artist scene. No, let me try again, she's an artist who is really into the indi-rock scene, and is from Seattle. Needless to say, we run in different circles. The fact that I am not into indi-rock nor the whole indi-rock scene has not deterred her from trying to include me in the indi-rock parties she goes to, or hanging out with her indi-rock friends (which, frankly, I think is really sweet of her). Now, before you think that I am saying all this derogatoraly, let me just say, I like indi-rockers, I just don't like their music. I really don't like their music. Which makes it hard to hang out with them, since hanging out usually involves a minimum of one indi-rock band.

On the few occasions that I have hung out with my roommate they have been pleasant (fun, even), and I have liked the people I've met. It is interesting to me to see the completely different mind-set of that crowd from the one I usually run with. Since deciding to make computers my career path I have found myself slipping into hanging out with computer geeks, because they are the only people in the programming labs until midnight, every night. Heck, they're the only people in the computer labs, ever. I like computer geeks, I am one. So, hanging out with them really isn't that big of an issue for me. It just makes for a culture shock when I hang out with people who are decidedly not interested in computers.

Additionally, I have found that being granola in Utah makes it surprisingly hard to find people with which to hang out. Also, I am an artist and would love to be really involved in the artist community in Provo, except, I have found one major common denominator between the artist community and one of the two types of granolas I have found here (more on that later) -- they all seem to be into the indi-rock scene (are we seeing a pattern here?). Thus, hanging out with the artists or granolas who share similar beliefs as myself is really hard, especially if I want to avoid having to subject myself to indi-rock.

Now, on to the other kind of granolas I've found here. In short, they have much different core beliefs that govern their lives than I do. Which wouldn't bother me, except people who live in Utah who don't seem to believe along the same lines as the majority have an obnoxious way of dealing with it -- they get in-your-face belligerent. Which, frankly, makes them unpleasant to be around. Thus, the secondary type of granola is out, as well.

This, however, was not where this entry was supposed to be going. I started out wanting to talk about my indi-rocker roommate. There is a concert tonight that she wanted to go to. However, it was about 1 1/2 miles away, and she didn't really want to walk, so I offered her a ride. She took me up on it. When I dropper her off in my super-fly minivan I said in a lovely falsetto, "Now, give me a call when you want a ride home." "Ok." She mimicked back. "Ok, then. Have a good time, and call me when you're ready to come home, sweetie." "Gosh, Mom! Their going to make fun of me!" We laughed and I sent her on her way. Just before I pulled away one of her friends noticed me and said, "Is that Granola?" I leaned over the passenger seat and said, "Yes. Hi!" and waved. She waved, and then the other two people I knew there waved, too. Finally about 7 or 8 people were waving at me, and saying, "Hi, Granola!" I waved back and said, "Hi guys! Have fun!" And drove off. It was a funny moment. Almost as if they were all saying, "Hi Mrs. Girl!" to me. Funny stuff. Now I don't have to be a mom to know how that moment feels. But, I do know I'll be a popular mom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home