Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Can Curses Be Passed On?

Just as I was wondering what I was going to blog about today I wandered over to Laziest Girl's blog to see what she was up to. Tragically, I was tagged, so here goes:

How many books do you own?
Good golly! Like I have a clue. My book shelf is 5' high by 8' long by 1' deep, and is packed pretty full, so I'm going to have to go with 40 square feet of books. DANG! I think I have a few books. Shesh. Tragically, they are all packed up now, in preparation for the blissful escape from the hole in which I currently dwell.

What was the last book you bought?
I think it may have been Uncle Tom's Cabin (Harriet Beecher Stowe), that or Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonngut). I've been planning on picking up a copy of Howl by Allen Ginsberg for the past week, so maybe I'll get around to that. Actually, I just remembered, I picked up a copy of Ant The Definitive Guide and Eclipse Cookbook both by Steve Holzner a couple of weeks ago. Does this question apply to programming books?

What was the last book you read?
Last Wednesday my roommate left her copy of The Chosen by Chaim Potok on the kitchen table. I spent the evening devouring it. Wow. What an amazing read! I'm thinking about picking up The Promise later this week, (probably when I grab a copy of Howl).

Other than that, I'm constantly reading The Bible and The Book of Mormon. Since I'm teaching Sunday School again I'm actually doing the reading, which means I'm also in the midsts of The Doctrine and Covenants. Since those are all cannon do they count?

What are five books that have meant a lot to you?
Well, I could knock three or four out by claiming scripture, but I'll limit that and actually stretch myself:
1) Scripture. The Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price. Honestly, God's Word has a way of changing a person.

2) Utopia, Thomas Moore

3) Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe

4) Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky

5) The Complete Works of e. e. cummings, e. e. cummings

6) The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown (just kidding! I've never read it, and don't really plan to, for that matter)

2 Comments:

Blogger Laziest Girl said...

You know, I don't think I have ever read an e.e.cummings book.

I shall have to remedy that.

June 22, 2005 9:40 pm  
Blogger granola girl said...

I would have to say, his novels aren't all that wonderful, it's his poetry I can't get enough of. Mostly free verse, but some amazingly tricky sonnets. One of my top 5 favorite poems is "anyone lived in a pretty how town". If I could make a recommendation, you should start there. :)

June 23, 2005 9:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home